Friday, July 14, 2006

New tires with Slime tubes

Off with the road tires and on with the mountain tires. Hope to hit some
trails this weekend if it's not too hot. Road riding on my mountain bike
has been fun but, it's time for a change.

So, I bought some new Panaracers (my old smoke and dart tires are dry,
fine for spares but wanted to start clean) and I got these Slime filled
self healing tubes. Fibro-seal technology. Sounds like a good idea
right!? I thought so. Cool high tech graphics and a bright green box,
what could be better.

So, while I was switching out the tires last night I realized I had put
on my front tire backwards (my excuse is that it was late last night
after the tour wrap-up) I went to deflate the tube to switch the tire
around and all this green slime came out. Gross, then the slime wouldn't
allow anymore air out. The Slime sealed the valve! I cleaned the valve
and finished inflating the tube. I just turned the rim around on the
front so the tire is now facing front. No big deal, right. Yeah, not
until I want to put my road tires back on...

What am I suppose to do if I want to switch out my tire?. I cannot
deflate these tubes, the slime seals the valve. Guess I'll worry about
that later.

Found a lot of loose spokes, which I had to tighten and my rims needed a
good cleaning so, I didn't finish the swap last night. Still need to
replace the back tire and clean and lube the chain and derailer.

No comments: